Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Across the Univers.

We've finally added a new shirt to the TypographyShop line. Across the Univers celebrates Adrian Frutiger's 1954 classic in an ode to a classic pop tune.

When your first shirt is such a hit you feel like the one hit wonder band, fearful that your next tune will be derided and compared to the last, or just might not live up to the beauty of the first.

As we're only going to be adding a shirt at a time to this line it's been difficult to choose among the dozens of ideas in the typographyshop ideas folder. Many celebrate type, educate the public about type, about design. Some slogans I'm dying to get out there include the all time favorite "and where did you go to art school?" and the wonderful George Lois quotation: "Great Ideas Can't be Tested. Only Mediocre Ideas Can be Tested." But I should probably ask George first.

I feel that there's a market for designers and other creative pros to express their frustration in a witty, pithy fashion. It's always a question though, of sounding angry. Hopefully they'll come across as funny first. And true second.

JAI GURU DE VA OM

3 comments:

Unknown said...

good work.
ttttt

Unknown said...

Across the Univers > Helvetica Neue. Period.

You should make a shirt featuring the interrobang.

krupky said...

my wife bought me one for my birthday... wore it to a design competition and people flipped - there's a picture of me wearing it on my blog. anyway, I can't wait for more - keep up the great work.